To be eligible to return you must be sure your accounts are clear, and you have met any requirements of your leave.
- Bursar — Confirm you have no outstanding balance / no holds on your account. Your account must be clear to be eligible for readmission. (Those students on a mandatory financial leave of absence generally will have to pre-pay for the semester before the readmission deadline – contact the Bursar’s office for details at 518-276-6610).
- Loans — Confirm your student loan exit interview was completed at the time of separation from Rensselaer / not in collections as appropriate.
- Discipline — Students who have disciplinary holds, outstanding disciplinary charges or unfulfilled sanctions should contact the Dean of Students Office before the readmission deadline for instructions.
We will notify you of any holds that remain after the application deadline via email. If your email has a "N" next to any area, that means you have a hold. You will have 14 days from the date of the email to lift the hold. If after 14 days the hold remains, your readmission will automatically be denied. For this reason it is best to check your accounts via SIS prior to applying.
Requirements for specific types of leaves
The Bursar's office requires that you make arrangements to pre-pay the semester tuition by the application deadline.
- Your first step should be to file the FAFSA, if applicable, as early as possible.
- Then contact the Financial Aid office to generate an estimated award package.
- When that is complete you can contact the Bursar's office to generate a bill
- Arrange pre-payment
For medical and other health related leaves the readiness to return form must be filled out by a therapist or attending physician as appropriate and sent to Rensselaer. You may also be required to engage in a readmission meeting with the Health or Counseling Centers as part of the readmission process.
To be eligible to return you must have fulfilled the conditions of your dismissal: be away for at least one year; have completed or be enrolled in a full time academic load at another institution in courses related to your major; and maintain a 3.0 or better GPA in the courses you are enrolled for. Grade estimates are considered for courses not completed but readmission would be pending final transcripts.
To be eligible to return you must have fulfilled the conditions of your suspension: be away for at least a semester at the discretion of the Committee on Academic Standing; have completed or be enrolled in a full time academic load at another institution in courses related to your major; and maintain a 3.0 or better GPA in the courses you are enrolled for. Grade estimates are considered for courses not completed but readmission would be pending final transcripts.