The I-PERSIST (Integrative - Program for Education, Research, and Support Involving Science and Technology) Mentor program is an initiative of the School of Science and the Division of Student Life. As part of the program, all first-year students who are registered for Calculus I, Chemistry I or Physics I during the fall semester of their first year at RPI are assigned into small groups, which meet weekly throughout the semester. These sessions are run by an undergraduate student mentor and focus on skill-building and subject-specific academic support. Mentors have demonstrated mastery of academic content and undergo special training to provide support in transitioning to college and academic life at Rensselaer.
For more information, contact Assistant Dean Lesly Clay.
Become an I-Persist Mentor
Fall 2022 applications will open on Monday, November 29, 2021. Please see below for more information and deadlines.
- Mentors will conduct two mentoring sessions per week (approximately 8-10 students per session)
- Mentors will attend one weekly supervisory meeting with subject faculty and Student Success staff
- Mentors are required to hold two study hours per week to provide extra help to mentees
- Mentors must prepare for their weekly sessions; on average, 8 - 10 hours of work total per week
In order to be considered, all candidates must:
- Be in good judicial and academic standing at Rensselaer
- Demonstrate strong academic performance in the subjects that you are applying to mentor
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate student
Please note: Although candidates may apply to mentor multiple subjects, they will only be selected to mentor one subject.
Mentors will earn two academic credits in the subject area for which they mentor.
New applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session. Information sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 @ 4pm via WebEx – to join, please use this link: https://rensselaer.webex.com/meet/mejial (will be recorded and posted here)
- Wednesday, January 12, 2022 @ 4pm in-person at the Academy Hall Auditorium - 3rd floor
The application deadline will be on Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:59pm. Decisions will be released in mid/late March.
All applicants who apply to be a Chemistry or Calculus mentor will be required to take a subject-specific quiz. If you apply for both subjects, you will be required to take both quizzes. At the end of the process, you will be selected to mentor only one subject.
- Applicants who apply to be a Physics mentor will not be required to take a Physics quiz.
- Only first-time applicants are required to take a quiz. To sign up for a Calculus and/or Chemistry quiz, please click here.
Selected applicants will interview with Student Life staff in early/mid-February, if selected, the second interview will be held by subject-specific faculty in late February/early March.
If selected, all mentors will be required to complete training. Training will consist of remote and in-person sessions. Below are our tentative training dates (these dates are subject to change):
- Friday, April 29, 2022: in-person mentor orientation
- Week of May 30, 2022: remote training session
- Week of June 13, 2022: remote training session
- Week of June 27, 2022: remote training session
- Week of July 11, 2022: remote training session
- August 26/27 – August 27/28: 2 days of in-person training; we will arrange for mentors to return to campus early.
We strongly encourage mentors to plan ahead to avoid conflicts on training days. Training is required to be completed in its entirety prior to the beginning of the fall semester. Mentors will not be exempted from late August I-PERSIST training for any Navigating Rensselaer and Beyond (NRB) activities.